World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) was launched on June 15, 2006 by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and the World Health Organization at the United Nations.
The purpose of WEAAD is to provide an opportunity for communities around the world to promote a better understanding of abuse and neglect of older persons by raising awareness of the cultural, social, economic and demographic processes affecting elder abuse and neglect.
In addition, WEAAD is in support of the United Nations International Plan of Action acknowledging the significance of elder abuse as a public health and human rights issue. WEAAD serves as a call-to-action for individuals, organizations, and communities to raise awareness about elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
Visit the WEAAD microsite on ACL.gov to become a collaborator.
Check out WEAAD events hosted worldwide at the WEADD International Events website created by International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA).
Tools & Tips
Every year an estimated 5 million older Americans are victims of elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. And that’s only part of the picture: Experts believe that for every case of elder abuse or neglect reported, as many as 23 cases go unreported.
With such a complex issue, there is only one way we can address it: United together.
The Administration for Community Living (ACL), partnered with the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), encourages individuals and organizations across our nation, states, and local communities to take a stand and to raise public awareness about elder abuse. Your voice can speak out against ageism, combat isolation, and bolster education efforts one person and community at a time.
- How Your Organization Can Generate Awareness and Foster Action to Guard Against Elder Abuse (PDF, 490KB)
- How to Answer Those Tough Questions about Elder Abuse (PDF, 965KB)
- Social Media 4 Week Countdown (PDF, 208KB)
- Faith Community Guide (PDF, 555KB)
- Training Guides and Slides
- Sample Press Release (PDF, 277KB)
- Sample Letters to the Editor: Long Version (DOCX, 5.47MB) | Short Version (DOCX, 5.46MB)
- Scam Flyers: Scam Checklist (PDF, 244KB) | Grandparents Scam (PDF)
- Customizable Templates: Power Point (PPTX, 1.05MB) | Event Flyer (PDF, 260KB) | Certificate (PDF, 180KB)
- Placemats are available in the following versions: Color (PDF, 248KB) | Grayscale (PDF, 343KB)
- 12 Things Anyone Can Do to Prevent Elder Abuse (PDF)
- Red Flags of Abuse (PDF)
- Why Should I Care About Elder Abuse? (PDF)
- Protect Yourself from Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation! (PDF)
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Logo: WEADD logo (JPG)
- Web banner ads: 600x160 px (JPG)
- 2016 Facebook Banners (JPG and PNG):
Public Service Announcements
- William Mapother PSAs on YouTube
- Ageless Alliance: United Against Elder Abuse PSAs on YouTube
- Elder Fraud Prevention PSAs on YouTube
- Grandparents Scam