"Things of the spirit differ from things material in that the more you give the more you have." —Christopher Morley
Every day, volunteers work to educate stakeholders, improve conditions for older adults, and strengthen intergenerational ties. Share your skills, time and experience by finding or creating a volunteer project which serves a cause that's important to you.
Find or Create a Volunteer Project
Learn about local opportunities to become involved in programs that provide assistance and support for seniors and people with disabilities. Examples include:
- Friendly Visitor
- Telephone Reassurance Calls
- Respite Care
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Volunteer Transportation
- Meals on Wheels
- Pet-Sitting or Pet-Walking
- Organizing donation drives for Adult Protective Services clients and Long-Term Care Ombudsman residents
- Organizing events and programs to honor elders and people with disabilities
- Organizing events and programs to foster intergenerational respect and collaboration
- Sharing information/Becoming a volunteer speaker on how to protecting against abuse, neglect and exploitation
Visit Eldercare Locator's Topic Page on Volunteerism, call the Eldercare Locator at 800-677-1116, or visit one of the websites below to find or create a volunteer project that fits you.
- United We Serve is a nationwide service initiative providing resources for not only finding volunteer opportunities in your community, but also creating your own.
- RSVP is America’s largest volunteer network for people age 55 and over. Join RSVP and you join nearly 500,000 volunteers across the country who are tackling tough issues in their communities.